Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A small scene about Krieg's experience in the war


“What is your name?” Joshua asked after a moment.
“Krieg,” the war horse answered.
“What does it mean, Krieg?”
“It means ‘war’. Just ‘war’. I was bred for the war, born during the war and trained for battle.
“Is that where all your scars come from?” Joshua asked.
The horse looked toward the dark horizon, lost in his thoughts.
“I have seen death and too much of it. On the battlefields of Toloose where men fought men for land that belonged to neither. For riches that held no value other than a handful of sand that amounted to nothing. I saw blood there that ran like crimson rivers across the charred soil. It spilled from brothers and fathers and sons, from big hearts and small ones and the blood of each flowed into the others’ and in death they became one once again and they forgot why it was they had fought.”
He turned toward Joshua and the Wolf. “I just want peace. I do not wish to fight for my life anymore. I’m too old. Too tired. Soon. Soon, I will follow my fathers’ path into the great vast grasslands where the sun never sets and the water is plenty, and where there is peace for all living things. Until then, I am in your debt, Joshua. In both of yours."

No comments:

Post a Comment